Social icons

missions and traveling and life

3.14.2013

I will be honest, all of this mission craze around me (don't get me wrong, it is a very good thing) has made me wonder what I am doing with my life and what my main goals and purposes are. I think that 99% of my mormon friends that I associated with in high school, boys and girls, are in the process of or have already submitted their papers or are gone already. I am going to a farewell or mission call opening almost every week. 
Although I know that for right now I personally am not supposed to be on a mission, I can't help but wonder what my future might hold. I love missionaries and I look up to them more than anything, but girls my age, DON'T feel pressure to go just because everyone around you is going. They are all wonderful examples of faith, and I am so grateful for all of my friends who are going, but I know that I will have my own personal missionary experiences that are unique to me without being in the mission field. 
It has been hard for me to feel like the only 19 year old girl who isn't going on a mission. I just never had planned on it. Who knows, maybe I will decide to go in the future, but for now, this is where i am supposed to be. 
So in the meantime... I am planning the next twelve months of my life out. I don't feel 100% satisfied with myself unless I am progressing. A mission is a great way to progress, but if a mission isn't for you, then maybe a study abroad program or teaching english somewhere cool might be for you! I know that I am definitely looking into that. I already know that I am doing a study abroad next year and I am so looking forward to it. I love different cultures and while I haven't traveled very far, (canada, mexico) I know that there are many places that I would love to visit, and there are many cultures I would love to explore other than my little Utah bubble. (Although I would say I was already in awe just moving from happy valley to Park City). I want to have many perspectives on life and to come up with my own opinions and my own outlook and I think that knowing about ways that others live their lives might help look at my own life and be more appreciative of it and all that I am blessed with. 
It is all about progression. I really believe that. Progression is so important to me and I always need to feel like I am improving myself. One of the best ways to feel like I am progressing would be to step outside my comfort zone and see different perspectives on the way I live, and the way others live as well.
I am looking forward to a life full of many travels and adventures. I can't wait for you ITALY!

6 comments

  1. I would totally recommend going on a study abroad. It was the best experience of my life! You will absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I really think that it would be amazing! It would just be such a good experience! I am really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I've been feeling pressured to go even though I know it's not what I should be doing right now. Thank you for this! It's nice to know that you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Rebecca! I am also glad that I am not alone! It's an adjustment with everyone leaving, but I know that things will work out!

      Delete

Copy Right Karli Marie 2014. Powered by Blogger.